Wednesday 28 March 2012

Ceramics Studio Cabinets - Installing today



18th Century Pickle pots mixed in with my interpretations

My work on display in the middle cabinet

Today I have been working with Assistant Ceramics Curator, Catrin Jones. We have spent the morning opening the cabinets in the galleries and choosing objects to display in the glass cases that face my studio. This has been an opportunity to exhibit some of my maquettes alongside the original pieces - the intention for this display is to grow and develop as I create more objects and slot them in over the coming weeks. It is very much a work in progress display because many of the objects that I have created are quick sketches/mock ups. I am enjoying watching visitors look in to the cabinets and then do a double take as they realise all is not as it seems!

The middle cabinet is a display of my current work, it's good to show visitors a story of how my work is progressing during the residency.

The cabinet on the left hand side contains objects I have chosen from the collection that I feel address function in interesting ways. My favourite object is the 18th Century Queen Charlotte Supper Set piece. You may have seen how this piece has influenced my work in previous years......

Original Queen Charlotte Supper Set 18th Century

Oriole Supper Set 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment