Friday 2 March 2012

I'm at the V&A!

Hello V&A! I'm here in room 143 Ceramic Studio, Ceramics Galleries- Floor 6! Come and see me on these days:
http://www.vam.ac.uk/whatson/event/1615/open-studio-louisa-taylor-ceramics-resident-2757/

The ceramic studio

Ceramics Galleries
Some of the exhibits


Hello - it's been a while since my last post and there is a lot to tell you! As many of you are aware, I started my residency at the V&A at the beginning of January and so far I enjoying every minute of it. It's taken me a bit longer than I thought to get settled into my new routine of going to the museum and working there day to day. I am so used to my own studio and making pots to sell that I actually felt guilty for spending days not making anything but instead wandering around the museum all day long just looking at objects. Of course I know that this is important to spend time researching but its been so long since I've had free time to myself - for myself - that is was quite a strange feeling.

When I started, by coincidence there was a course about the history of food which I have been attending for the last 8 weeks. It couldn't have come at a better time because as a tableware maker I now feel that I have a better understanding of the context surrounding dining rituals - why particular objects developed to suit functions/fashions. This is already feeding into my practice and sparking some exciting lines of enquiry. Its refreshing to see the subject from a non-ceramic point of view because sometimes I feel so bogged down with techniques and glaze recipes. It's great to think about the future of food and something that I feel strongly about is; how eating meals together can create stronger bonds within the family unit and/or other human relationships. My aim for the coming weeks is to create objects that reflect this notion to encourage sharing and evoke discussion at the table.

I will keep you up to date with news and photos of the developing pieces. At the moment I am working a range of pickle pots..............


No comments:

Post a Comment